Are you looking for that HTPC experience? Here is How to install Kodi 17 Krypton in Ubuntu and take advantage of the updated Estuary Skin interface.
Kodi has improved in leaps and bounds since it’s XBMC days. Here’s how to install The latest release, Kodi 17 Krypton.
On first launch of Kodi 17 you will notice an updated Estuary Skin interface. Along with the new interface is a swag of new features added to Kodi 17. Such as Amilogic ARM 4K support, Android de-interlacing for improved TV streams and much more.
Kodi is a free and open source media player. It’s primary use is as a front-end for many home theater PC’s (HTPC). Kodi gives users the ability to easily catalog their library of media files. It indexes the folders that have been added and sorts them into movies, TV shows, etc.
The following installation instructions will work for all Ubuntu distributions based on Ubuntu 14.04, and Ubuntu 16.04. As well as their derivatives.
How to install Kodi 17 Krypton in Ubuntu
- To begin installing Kodi you will need to open a new terminal. You can do this with the hotkeys, Ctrl + Alt + T. Or alternatively you can find the terminal in the Unity Dash menu.
- Add the PPA to your package list with the command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
- Enter your password to authorize the installation.
- Next, you will need to update your package list so you can find the newly added PPA. Use the command:
sudo apt-get update
- With the package list updated you can in install Kodi with the command:
sudo apt-get install kodi
- Finally, once Kodi is installed you can run the application through the Unity Dash menu or by typing
kodiinto the terminal.
How to uninstall Kodi 17 Krypton in Ubuntu
- First, you will need to remove the Kodi application. You can do this by typing the following command into a terminal window.
sudo apt-get remove --auto-remove kodi
- With Kodi removed, you can then tidy up your package list by removing the Kodi PPA.
sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:team-xbmc/ppa